Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tuniq Tyme 2010

My blog is soooo neglected...

I just realized my posts have become so irregular, it has become a semi-annual thing (my second-last post was Tuniq Tyme 2009!).

Nonetheless, as a good friend of mine has started his own thing, I promised myself that I'd try to keep at this as well.

Anyways, This years' Tuniq Tyme has been jam-packed with fun activities for kids and families and i'm sure the night-life is alive as ever.

So far, we've gone to see contests for ice sculptures, tea/bannock making, iglu-building, fear factor to name a few.

It might be just me but I came across the Inuktitut phrases both on the website and booklet this year and have a few pointers:

"Iqalunnimiutauvunga – I’m from Iqaluit"
This should be: "Iqalummiutaujunga/vunga" because you do not say "Kinngarnimiutaujunga" or "Kimmirurnimiutaujunga."

"Ulaakut – Good morning" is missing the double "l" and "k": ullaakkut

"Qaniungi – I’m fine" is missing the extra "n" as well: qanuinngi

"Agga – No" is completele wrong: "agga" is "hand" while "aagga means "no.

"Naqurmiik – Thank you" change the "q" to a "k": nakurmiik

"Qujanamiik – Thank you" add one more "n": qujannamiik

And finally,
"Ilaali – You’re welcome" is perfectly arranged and so i'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment