Wednesday, October 1, 2008

candidacy apathy?

there is not one person that ran in my howntown riding of South Baffin in the Nunavut Territorial general elections.

Elections Nunavut has scheduled a byelection on Nov. 3 for South Baffin. Outgoing MLA Olayak Akesuk, who had not wanted to seek re-election, told CBC News he may run if nobody else is interested.
I do hope that someone else does run this time around - I can think of at least a few people that could/should be good representatives in the House for Kinngait & Kimmirut.

Update: the by-election writ has brough up four hopefuls for South-Baffin riding - first and foremost, I'll be happy if the incumbent speaks Inuktitut. And secondly, can read and understand English clearly (talk about mediocre expectations!). That's my standard that one of these these candidates will have to prove and live up to if am to support them in office. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment